An essential dictionary for children grades 3-5, ages 8-11, this hardcover offers 36,000 entries with 200 new words & senses, many from technology & life sciences. Definitions are enriched with 1,300 quotes from classic and contemporary children's literature, providing examples of how words are used in sentances. Includes 900 vibrant, colorful illustrations, photographs, and diagrams. Offers 250 word history paragraphs and 130 synonym paragrahs.
Other features include Greek & Latin word root paragraphs, and student-friendly usge hints in full sentences.
Special sections include geographical names, signs and symbols, a guide for writers and a list of literary works used in the text.
Children's books from which example sentences are taken include:
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland--by Lewis Carroll
The Secret Garden--by Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Black Stallion--by Walter Farley
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon--by Grace Lin
Mr. Popper's Penguins--by Richrd and Floence Atwater
Charlotte's Web--by E.B. White
- ☛ Designed for student use anywhere
- ☛ Hands-on learning resource any time you need to reference a word
- ☛ Makes a great gift for new high school or college graduates
- Binding: Hardcover
- Brand: Merriam-Webster
- Product Group: Book
- Product Type Name: ABIS_BOOK
- Manufacturer: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- Part Number: 095148
- Edition: Exp Upd
- Publication Date: 2013-08-31
- ISBN: 0877796769
- Publisher: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- Studio: Merriam-Webster, Inc.
- Number Of Pages: 824